The difficulty of the tracks listed here are rated by Walk, Hike or Overnight/ Multi day criteria
The Northland Region extends north from the boundary with Auckland in the south, through to the tip of the north Island at Cape Reinga.
- Whangarei – Abbey Caves: Walk: 40min Loop walk with Limestone formations and caves(take a torch) Car park and track info sign
- Whangarei Heads – Mt Manaia: Walk: 2 hr/ 4 Km Return, to summit and views Whangarei Harbour. Car park and track info sign
- Whangarei Heads – Peach Cove Track: Walk: 3 hr/ 3.6 Km Return, mostly descending to the coast at Peach Cove hut. Car park and track start
- Kerikeri – Kerikeri River Track: Walk: 1.5 hr/ 3.5 Km one way, Track start and info sign and finish car park.
- Whangaroa – St Paul’s Rock: Walk: 30 min / 700 m climb top of the rock for a scenic view of Whangaroa harbour. Car Park and track start.
- Te Paki – Te Paki Stream: Walk: 3 hrs/ 7.4 Km Return. walk the stream and sand dunes to ninety mile beach. Carpark and track start.
- Mangawhai – Tanekaha Tracks: Hike: 1.5 -5 hrs / 3-8 Km, A great network of 5 tracks in native bush on the Brynderwyn Range, over flowing with waterfalls and pools. Tracks earth – boots recommended. Carpark: Gravel for about 6 cars on private land.
- Whangarei Heads – Te Whara Track : Hike: 8 km /5-6 hrs One Way, or 16km/ 2 days if you book the DoC Peach Cove Hut. This coastal track crosses farm land, beaches and follows the dominant ridge between Urquharts Bay and Ocean beach with fantastic views. Carpark: Urquharts or Ocean beach.
- Mangawhai – Cliff top walk way: Walk: 2-3 hrs/8.8 Km return, The track runs parallel to the sea along the cliff tops, with fantastic views, return via the beach at low tide or the track. Carpark:Mangiwhai heads car park
- Tangihua Forest – Mt Horokaka (My Visit): Hike: 6-8 hrs / 10-14 Km return, Carpark: Small Gravel around 6 cars.
- Totara North – Wairakau Stream: Hike or Overnight: 12 Km/ 4-5 hrs Return, You must book the Lane Cove Hut if you wish to overnight. The track climbs to a saddle and then descends to follow an estuary through regenerating bush to Hut and the short Dukes nose track. Carpark: Small, suit car shuttle from another location.