The difficulty of the tracks listed here are rated by Walk, Hike or Overnight/ Multi day criteria
The Waikato region is covers a large area of the upper North Island of New Zealand, stretching from the Lake Taupo(South) to the Bombay hills (North), from the Western coastline to the Bay of Plenty.(East)
- Te Aroha – Mt Te Aroha Summit Track:(My visit) Hike: 6 hrs / 9 -10 Km Return, Waikato views on a clear day.
- Richmond Downs – Te Tapui Reserve: Hike: 6.3km Circuit / 3-4 hours. Climb to wooden look out tower 180 degree views. Car Park: Gravel 4-5 cars capacity
- Te Aroha – Waiorongomai Valley Hike or Walk: 2-6 hrs of tracks in this valley mostly around the gold mining ruins. Car Park: Large Gravel with Toilets
- Te Aroha – Waiorongomai to Mt Te Aroha Summit: Hike: 6 hrs / 16km Return, take a Topo map there are several intersections easily missed. Car park: Large Gravel
- Ngaruawahia – Hakarimata Scenic Reserve Walks: 2 – 4 hrs / 2 – 6 Km. Five walks,(Kauri loop and look out tracks) Car Parks: Northern end(Parker) and Southern end.(Waingaro)
- Ngaruawahia – Hakarimata Walkway: Hike: 6 – 8 hrs / 12km. Climbs from the Northern car park to follow a rough track along the ridge line to the Southern Hakarimata Scenic Reserve car park.
- Raglan – Mt Karori Track: Hike: 6 – 8 hrs / 10km, Starting on the coastal side of Mt Karori, the track climbs including some chains to the look out and then on to the summit. (There is a second shorter track to the summit from the other side via farmland but I prefer the MKT.) Car Park: Large gravel (make sure you check out the viewing platform too!)
- Raglan – Te Toto Gorge: Walk: A steep 30 minute track that leads down below the Mt Karori Track car park to the sea… one look from the Car park look out will surely convince you to descend.
- Pirongia – Kaniwhaniwha Tracks: Walks: 2 – 4 hrs / 7km, Nikau walk and Kaniwhaniwha Caves Track. Hike: 6hrs / 12 km Kahikatea tree Track, all three accessed by the same Car park. Car Park: Large Gravel on two levels
- Pirongia – Hirikiwi Look out:(My Visit) Hike: 9 – 10 km / 6 – 8 hrs Return, Car Park: Very Small Grass
- Pirongia – Wharauroa and Mahaukura Summits: Route Map, Hike: 9 Km / 4 – 6 hrs Return. Climb to dual summits and return. Car Park: Large gravel car park and Toilets
- Coromandel – Kaitarakihi: (no DoC information see bottom right map )Hike: 8 Km/ 6 – 8 hrs Return. Climb up a ridge line the Summit. Well marked but despite be careful on corners as it can be easy to walk off the track. Car park: Small gravel car park road side
- Putaruru – Blue Springs: Walk: 9.5 Km / 3 hrs Return. Track follows the incredibly clear Waihou stream to the Springs. Lookout, picnic area and toilets at the springs. No swimming. Car park: Large car park and toilets
- Karanghake – Karanghake Gorge walks: Walks: 3 x 2.5 – 7 / 1- 4 hrs , exploring the former rail and gold sites in the gorge, including the stunning Windows walk. Car park: Large car park, picnic area, toilet block and information board .
- Karanghake – Karangahake Mountain:Hike: 12 km / 4 – 5 hrs return. Well worth the climb for fantastic view over the gorge. Car park: Large car park, information board
- Kauaeranga Valley – Billy Goat Track: Hike: 11 Km /4-6 hrs Circuit: Route Map. Plenty of hills views and history, now including a washed out bridge – significant river crossing. Car park: Large gravelled(for return including road walking, or park second car roadside by river crossing.)
- Kauaeranga Valley – Pinnacles Track: Hike Overnight: 6-10 hrs or Pre Book Pinnacles hut: 3-4 hrs one way. Climbing to the hut and if the weather / visibility is clear always head the extra 40 mins. to the summit or you may never see the view.(visibility and temperature changes fast all year round) Car Park: Large Gravelled