The difficulty of the tracks listed here are rated by Walk, Hike or Overnight/ Multi day criteria
The Auckland Region lies in the upper North Island, between Northland in the north to the Waikato Region at its southern boundary.
- Pohuehue – Beverly Price Loop: Walk: 3.5 Km, includes waterfall. Track sign & Car Park
- Omaha – Mt Tamahunga: Walk: Omaha Valley road(track sign) to Summit track 6.0 Km or one way to Rodney Road 5.5 Km One way.
- Mahurangi West – McElroy Scenic Reserve: Walk: 45 -60 mins. Car park and Sign.
- Waiwera – Wenderholm Regional Park:Walk: 0.6 -4.6 Km, (5 tracks) Views and native bush. Car Park and information. Puhoi – Dunns Ridge Track: Walk: 5 Km return, follow Orange Markers between the two car parks. Mostly farm with views down valley. Car parks: J Tolhofp and Remiger Road
- Puhoi – Puhoi Track:Walk: 10 Km return. Bush and farm land between the two car parks. Car parks: Domain (biggest car park), Remiger Road.
- Long Bay – Long Bay Regional Park: Walk: 0.8 – 6 Km return.(4 walks) Farm and bush, Car parks and Information board location.
- Dome Valley – Dome to Govan Wilson:Hike: 5 -6 hrs / 12 Km One way, take a car to the finish and walk to it. Reserve and commercial pine forest, big views. Car park: Dome Valley 1,(*1) Dome Valley2 and Govan Wilson Road.
- Waitakere Ranges – Auckland: The majority of hikes in the Ranges, are now closed to the public as a result of the Kauri Die Back disease. Selected tracks will reopen in time once they have been gravelled and board walked: Waitakere Track status here.
- Bethells Beach – Bethells Road to Raetahinga Point: Walk: 2-3 hrs / 8 Km Return,(first 4km of the Te Henga Walkway) Car park and information.
- Waitakere Ranges – Exhibition Drive to Arataki: Walk: 1 – 3 hrs / 6.7 km return, the track runs between Woodlands park Road and Forest Head Quarters(Arataki) Car Parks: Woodlands Park, (most full on weekends) Old Exhibition drive,(smaller but less used) Scenic Drive (large and information)
- Waitakere Range – Lake Wainamu: Walk: 2-3 hrs / 8 Km return. Huge Dunes and fresh water lake. Carpark and info sign,(often full on weekends) Secondary Carpark.
- Waitakere Ranges – Slip, Pipeline, Beveridge Tracks Circuit: Walk: 1-2 hrs /4.5 Km circuit, track re opened after die back renovation. Start and Car Park: Arataki Visitor Centre: Gravel track and road, walking shoes fine.
- Waitakere Ranges – Upper Nihotapu Walk: Walk: 40mins – 1hr / 5-7 Km return, Gravel and sealed road through bush to dam and covered picnic area. Car Park: Off Piha road
- Waitakere Ranges – Huia Dam Road: Walk: Approx 10km return, Gravel road to the base of the Upper Huia Dam, day time access – also suits push bikes. Car Park: Huia Dam Road
- Te Atatu Pennisular – Te Atau Pennisula Walkway: Walk:8 Km Return, follow the coastal walk way around from car park, return same way or via streets. Car Park: Te Atatu Road and Chapman.
- Hobsonville – Hobsonville Point Coastal Walkway: Walk: 1 hr / 5.0 Km return perimeter track, Coastal you can start any where really, but this Car Park is close to track, follow coast around.
- Murawai – Goldies Bush Walkway: Walk: 2 hrs /10 Km return. The track has recently been renovated to kauri die back standard – gravel and stairs and runs between Constable and Horseman’s roads. Car park Constable and Horsemans.
- Murawai – Mokoroa Stream track: Hike: 3-4 hrs/ 12 Km return. Add this onto the Goldies bush walkway track to make a circuit back via the Mokoroa steam, (falls look out to swing bridge) mutiple stream crossings, mud and slippery rocks. Car park: Constable.
- Waitakere Ranges – Ballroom Cave / Beach Walk: 40 mins / 3.0 Km return. Historic Cave, another track from the car over wooden bridge leads to beach – well worth a look. Car park and Information, (last part of road is loose gravel)
- West Coast – Te Henga Coastal Walkway: Hike: 4 – 5 hrs / 9 Km One way. The track follows the cliff line between Bethells beach and Muriwai. Can be very windy, but the views are worth it. Car park: Bethells and Constable Road
- Paremoremo – Sanders Recreation Reserve: Walk: 1 hr / 5.0 – 6.0 Km, Coastal, mostly open grass, Car Park: Main and after hours.
- Waitakere Ranges – Waitakere Dam Walk: Walk: 1 hr / 3 Km(Return), Sealed road through native bush to Dam top and view down valley, Car Park: Large beside Scenic Drive
- Clevedon – Duder Regional Park: Walk: 2.4 – 4 Km Return(6 tracks), Coastal farm park and Native bush. Carpark and Information.
- Clevedon – Clevedon Scenic Reserve: Walk: 3 Km Return, 360 Degree lookout platform, Car Park and Track Sign
- Botany – Logan Carr Path: Walk: 3 Km. Concrete paths Car park
- Highbrook – Highbrook Path: Walk: Mostly open, coastal path, Car park Waioruru. (there are lots of car parks and a camera)
- Manukau Harbour – Waikowhai Walkway: Walk: 10km / 5 hours one way, the track follows coastal tracks, suburban roads and sometimes the beach. CarPark: consult walkway maps – many access points.
- Onehunga to Penrose – Manukau Foreshore Walkway: Walk: 11km / 2 hours Return. Track links Taumanu, Glouchester Reserves to Hugo Johnston Drive – Penrose, via the foreshore. Car Park: Onehunga
- Please stay on the marked tracks to help with Kauri Die back and keeping the tracks small.
- All the car parks described are free public car parks, some may be busy and full after hours and particularly weekends, or have gates that closer after a designated time.
(*1) The bottom part of the upper car park is public parking despite the cheeky Tea rooms labelling it as theirs.(confirmed by the owners Transit New Zealand)
- Department of Conservation
- Auckland Regional Council
- Kauri die back