When you dont have time to get out of town for a hike, another great option is to explore the many small road side and suburban reserves that offer short walks in easy reach.
This list is by no means exhaustive, but I’ll aim to add all the short walks I have found in the Auckland area.
I have never favoured rating short walks by Time or Difficultly, instead all the short walks on this page;
- Don’t require hiking boots.(suitable for walking shoes or trainers)
- Are mostly on well formed tracks that are easy to follow.
- Range in length up to a total of 10 km.
Auckland Short Walk Index
- Beverly Price Loop: (Pohuehue) Length: 3.5 Km, includes waterfall. Track sign & Car Park
- Mt Tamahunga (Omaha) Length: Omaha Valley road(track sign) to Summit track 6.0 Km or one way to Rodney Road 5.5 Km One way.
- Mangawhai Cliff Walkway: (Mangawhai) Length: 8.8 Km return, Coastal. Car park and sign
- McElroy Scenic Reserve: (Mahurangi West) Length: 45:60 mins. Car park and Sign.
- Wenderholm Regional Park (Puhoi) Length: 0.6 -4.6Km, (5 tracks) Views and native bush. Car Park and information.
- Puhoi Track (Puhoi) Length: 5.0 Km One way. Bush and farm land. Car parks: Domain (biggest car park), Remiger Road.
- Dunns Ridge Track (Puhoi) Follow Orange Markers between the two car parks. Length: 2.5 Km One way. Farm and bush, Car parks: J Tolhofp and Remiger Road
- Long Bay Regional Park (Long Bay) Length: 0.8 – 6 Km return.(4 walks) Farm and bush, Car parks and Information board location.
- Bethells Road to Raetahinga Point: (Bethells Beach) Length: 8.2 Km Return,(first 4km of the Te Henga Walkway. Car park and information.
- Exhibition Drive: (Titirangi) Length: 6.7km return,the track runs between Woodlands park and Forest Head Quarters on Scenic Drive. Car Parks: Woodlands Park, (most full on weekends) Old Exhibition drive,(smaller but less used) Scenic Drive(large and information)
- Lake Wainamu (Bethells Beach)Length: 8.1 Km return. Huge Dunes and lake. Carpark and info sign,(often full on weekends) Secondary Carpark.
- Ballroom Cave/ Beach (Whatipu) Length: 3.0km (return) after the cave return to the car park and take the beach track. Carpark and Information, (last part of road is loose gravel)
- Goldies Bush Walkway, (Murawai) Length:4.5km One way. The track runs between Constable and Horseman’s roads. Car park Constable and Horsemans.
- Sanders Recreation Reserve (Paremoremo) Length: 5.0 -6.0 Km, Coastal, mostly open grass, Car Park: Main and after hours
- Hobsonville Point Coastal Walkway (Hobsonville Point) Length: 5.0Km return, Coastal you can start any where really, but this Car Park is close to track.
- Te Atau Pennisula Walkway (Te Atatu Pennisular) length: 8Km Return, Coastal and pretty. Car Park: Te Atatu Road and Chapman.
- Duder Regional Park (Clevedon) length: 2.4 – 4.3 Km Return(6 tracks), Coastal farm and Native bush. Carpark and Information
- Clevedon Scenic Reserve (Clevedon) length: 2.8 Km Return, 360 Degree lookout platform Car Park and Track Sign
- Highbrook Path (Highbrook) Length: Mostly open, coastal path, Car park Waioruru. ( there are lots of carparks but this one has a camera)
- Logan Carr Path (Botany) Length: 3 Km. Concrete paths Car park
More to come soon…..
- Please stay on the marked tracks to help with Kauri Die back and keeping the tracks small.
- All the car parks described are free public car parks, some may be busy and full after hours and particularly weekends, or have gates that closer after a designated time.
(*1) I remember this area well from my first Job when DoC took over Lands and Survey in the late 80s. The rock sat in the middle of long grass and gorse. Now the area between the rock and the road is thick native bush – that we planted! ( spending days slashing tracks through the gorse and planting hundreds of native trees designed to grow up and suffocate the grass and gorse.
- Department of Conservation
- Auckland Regional Council
- Kauri die back