Getting the right socks for your activity is as important as the right footwear, and can make or break your comfort.
To keep the joy in hiking your feet need to remain;
- Comfortable /dry
- Blister free
These days there are plenty of hiking socks on the market made from a wide ranger of materials both natural, synthetic and combinations of both.
Features of modern hiking socks;
- Wick sweat away from your feet – keeping the feet drier
- Plenty of padding in the high impact areas
- Fast drying
- Non irritating (like the old wool socks)
- Durable and long lasting
- The right amount of temperature control for your application.
While these “Technical socks” of appear rather expensive per pair, the first time you wear the right socks for you.. you will know what i am referring to.
Choosing the right sock
This is going to be a personal decision, and it might involve a little trial and error before you find a brand that you like. The important things to consider are;
My recommendation is to look for Socks that;
- Extends 10-15cm above the tops of your hiking footwear when first put on.
- Fits your foot with out loose wrinkles or excess – both of which can rub
- Feel comfortable inside your footwear – always take your hiking footwear and try them with new sock brands.
- Has extra cushion thickness around the heal and ball of the foot.
- Advertised moisture wicking and fast drying properties.
After much trial and error including synthetic and wool socks, my personal favourite socks are they synthetic;
Hiking shoes: Thorlo running crew
Hiking boots: Thorlo KX hiking